Introduction about Blu-ray Folder
A Blu-ray Folder is a folder which contains the whole contents of a Blu-ray disc. If you want to backup a Blu-ray disc, you can copy it to a computer as a Blu-ray folder, which is not easy to scratch and lose, but easy to take in an USB flash disk. It usually contains 2 separate folders: BDMV and CERTIFICATE. BDMV folder contains information about the contents of the Blu-ray disc, while CERTIFICATE is empty, but necessary for the disc to play back correctly on some devices.
Under a BDMV folder/directory, there are many folders and files, including AUXDATA, BACKUP, BDJO, CLIPINF, JAR, META, PLAYLIST and STREAM directories, and 2 bdmv files. Some folders are empty. Here is a introduction about a BDMV folder contents from Wikipedia:
* AUXDATA contains Sound data files and Font files. Sound.bdmv file stores data relating to one or more sounds associated with HDMV Interactive Graphic streams applications. otf files store the font information associated with Text subtitle applications.
* BACKUP contains copies of the "index.bdmv” file, the “MovieObject.bdmv” file, all the files in the PLAYLIST directory and all files in the CLIPINF directory.
* CLIPINF contains the Database files for Clips. In CLIPINF directory, there are many clpi files, which store Clip information associated with a Clip AV stream file.
* PLAYLIST contains the Database files for Movie PlayLists. In this directory, there are many mpls files, which store information corresponding to Movie PlayLists. One file is created for each Movie PlayList.
* STREAM contains AV stream files. In this directory, there are many m2ts files, each of which contains a BDAV MPEG-2 transport stream.
* index.bdmv file stores information describing the contents of the BDMV directory.
* MovieObject.bdmv file stores information for one or more Movie Objects.
How to play Blu-ray Folder?
It is not a file format that Windows or Mac can open natively. Blu-ray is a patented format with kinds of copyrighted protection, so is Blu-ray folder movie. To play a Blu-ray folder movie, there are basically 2 ways:
1. Play Blu-ray folder with Blu-ray player software. This way will keep the original Blu-ray format, including menu and special features in one movie. Users can select titles, chapters, sound effect and subtitles, etc.
2. Play m2ts files under BDMV/STREAM directory. M2TS file is the Blu-ray Disc Audio-Video (BDAV) MPEG-2 Transport Stream (M2TS) container file format, which can be played with ALLPlayer, MPlayer, VLC, PotPlayer and other media players, depending on used compression formats in a M2TS file. Some players will need an appropriate codec, component or plugin installed.